Monday, February 15, 2016

I Am Willing to Be Considered for the United States Supreme Court

If President Obama and the Senate can't agree on a Supreme Court pick to replace Scalia, I am willing to consider being nominated. Please remember that Supreme Court Justices are not required to have a law degree (though they generally do).

As an independent, I feel that I might make better decisions than most of the current justices who seem to be either ultraliberal or ultraconservative on some issues. Do you like the way I showed a little humility by inserting "might" in the last sentence?

I consider myself a moderate conservative similar to Chief Justice Roberts. But I am probably very conservative on some issues and very liberal on others, as well as middle of the road on some.

I actually considered going to law school when I was in the eighth grade and a freshman in high school, but ruled it out for various reasons. In freshman English class we had a debate, and I loved debating. But I decided not to join the high school debate team because debate team members must be willing to argue both sides of a case, and I wouldn't have wanted to argue the side I disagreed with.

I was told that law students also had to argue both sides of a case, and I wouldn't want to do that. However, I do sometimes change my mind on various issues though, so at one time or another I might agree with both sides on several issues, and I generally can at least see the other side's point of view.

However, I guess I'll stick to my writing and won't hold my breath waiting for President Obama to phone me asking me to accept the nomination--which I would probably decline anyway. I love freelance writing, and that was my first career choice in the eighth grade--before I postponed choosing it due to data indicating its poor job prospects, low pay, etc.

If you took time to read all of this lengthy somewhat self-centered post, thank you very much for your time!

NOTE: This post is virtually identical to a Facebook post I made on my Facebook timeline yesterday (February 15, 2016).

No comments:

Post a Comment