Saturday, December 12, 2015

Rand Paul for President?

As an independent voter who is liberal on some issues and conservative on others, I often find it difficult to find one particular candidate to support for President. But if the Presidential election were held today, I would vote for Kentucky Senator Rand Paul.

One reason may be my personal bias as a Kentuckian. And I am one of the people who voted for him when he ran successfully for the United States Senate.

I also like the fact that he seems to think for himself rather than toeing the standard Republican party line. I love his commitment to reduce federal spending, including substantially cutting military spending. I think that this commitment to cut the huge U.S. military spending separates Rand Paul from Republican front runners in the race.

As a medical professional, Rand Paul also may have insights into health care reform that most other Presidential candidates lack. Furthermore, Paul puts his Christian faith into action through doing some pro bono medical care for persons in Kentucky and internationally.

I don't agree with Rand Paul on every issue. But I do believe that he typically sincerely seeks to do the right thing rather than what a political party desires. And some time ago, I read on Rand Paul's website that he is not a Freemason. The masonic lodge may be a good organization, as some claim, but I am not a member. And I feel strongly that Christianity at its best is a great organization and that active members of Christianity sincerely seeking to obey the highest righteous authority, God, need not join a "good" organization that would likely make them bow to a human authority, as I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) Masons do, with Masons being under the control and authority of human leaders within the lodge.

I don't expect Rand Paul to win. However, I voted for Ralph Nader for President in four consecutive Presidential elections, and Nader never won. But I still feel that Nader was the best qualified candidate, even though I didn't agree with him on every issue either. And if all the registered voters who didn't even bother to cast ballots in the infamous Gore-Bush election in which Nader was a candidate had voted and voted for Nader, Nader would have won.

Folks, let's all seek to vote for and/or pray for the best qualified candidate to help them win. I personally pray for the best qualified candidate to win, even if I vote for the wrong one. In fact, as an independent voter in Kentucky, I won't be eligible to cast a vote in the primary. However, my prayers typically do more good than my votes anyway. I am confident God is in control and answers prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment